|Name||S. M. GUPTA
B.Com., LL.B., F.C.S., F.A.S.M., M.I.M.A.
Past Chairman – The Institute of Company Secretaries of India, (EIRC)
Past President- Association of Corporate Advisers & Executives.
|Year of Birth||1951|
|Office Address||S.M.Gupta & Co.
P-15, Bentinck Street, Calcutta
Kolkata – 700 001 (W.B.)
Phone: +91 - 33 - 2236 - 1385
+91 - 33 - 2236 - 7135
Tele Fax: +91 - 33 - 2236 - 7135
|E – Mailemail@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Membership of Professional/Other Institutions|
|Membership of social and Cultural Organizations|
|1. Sir was Chairman of the Institute of Company Secretaries of India, Eastern India Regional Council in the year 1993.
2. He was a delegate from India to the weeklong Nepal Investment Forum at Kathmandu organized by the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and His Majesty’s Government of Nepal. This was a unique Conference in the history of Nepal where Delegates from over 50 countries participated. It was inaugurated by the then Prime Minister of Nepal.
3. His name found place in the latest edition of “Reference India – Biological Notes about Men and Women of Achievement of Today and Tomorrow”.
4. He is a member of Taxation and Company Affairs Standing Committee of Bharat Chamber of Commerce, Calcutta.
5. He was the President of The Association of Corporate Advisers & Executives, Calcutta (2007-08) and was Chairman of its Corporate and Allied Laws Committee for several years.
6. He was the Chairman of Corporate and Allied Laws Committee of the Direct Taxes Professionals’ Association.
7. He is a member of the Corporate Laws & Governance Standing Committee of the Merchants’ Chamber of Commerce.
8. He is a member of the Company Affairs standing committee of Bengal Chamber of Commerce & Industry.
9. He has widely travelled in India and abroad.
10.He is an Arbitrator at the Panel of Bombay Stock Exchange at their Regional Arbitration Center at Kolkata.
11. He is Co-Author of a recently published book “Company Law – Problems and Solutions” published by Calcutta Study Circle on Corporate Law and Allied Subjects. The Foreword of this book was written by the Hon’ble Chief Justice of Calcutta High Court.
12. He was recently presented an Award by Mr. Salman Khurshid, Hon’ble Minister, Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Govt. of India for Second Best
Article published in “Chartered Secretary” on All-India basis.
13. He has been recently nominated as a Member of the “Expert Advisory Board” of the Institute of Company Secretaries of India, New Delhi by
the Central Council of the Institute.
|1. He was invited to make a presentation on the topic “De-materialization of Securities – The Indian Scenario” at an International Seminar held at Bangkok (Thailand).
2. He was also invited to speak on “Corporate Laws in the International Perspective” at the residential seminar held at Malaysia and Singapore.
|T.V. Program Panelist|
|1. He was a panelist at a T.V. Programme produced by the Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Government of India on the subject of De-Materialsation of Securities” which was telecast by Doordarshan through all its kendras in the country.|
|Best Article Awards|
|He was awarded ‘The Krishnadhan Bhaduri Memorial award’ for best Article on Corporate Laws in the years 2000 and 2001 on the subjects – “Investors’ Protection under Corporate Laws” and “Corporate Governance” respectively.|
|1. Actively associated in the affairs of the Institute of Company Secretaries of India and have served on various Committees from time to time and took active part in organizing seminars, conferences, etc. including National Conventions.
2. Examiner and Visiting Faculty at The Institute of Company Secretaries of India.
3. Have published various articles in Souvenirs and Magazines including “Chartered Accountant”, “Chartered Secretary” and“Indian Management”.
4. A keen debater – represented school in various tournaments upto State level, was district Champion in English debate, won many Medals, prizes and scholarships including a special prize in English debate presented by ‘His Highness’ the then Maharaja of Sikar (Rajasthan).
5. He is regularly invited as a Speaker by Professional Institutes on different topics, including The ICAI, The ICSI, CMA, ACAE, DTPA, Chambers of Commerce and others.
6. He was also a faculty at the training programmes organized by:
(a) The Ministry of Company Affairs for its officers and
(b) Principal Director of Accounts and Audit, Government of India for their officers.
(c) The ICAI at Bengal Club for Independent Directors.
7. He was amongst the Contributors for the ‘Members ready referencer’ and had edited the full section on Company Law published by the Institute of Charted Accountants of India, which was released by the President of the Institute on 10.12.2005 at the regional conference held at Kolkata.
8. Some of his memorable lectures delivered were at Guwahati, Bhubaneshwar and Patna, which were organized by the Company Secretaries and Chartered Accountants Institutes respectively.
|Languages known||Hindi, Marwari, English, Bengali and Oriya|
|Professional Assignments||His career with the industry includes 10 years as Commercial Manager and 15 years of service as Company Secretary and Law officer of large Industrial Enterprises. Presently, he is doing his own practice as a Whole-time Company Secretary including legal consultancy for Multi–National Companies and other corporate clients.|
|Important Articles Published|
|A KEEN READER|
|Apart from reading Law Books, he also reads books on various other subjects. His favorite writers include Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam, Robin Sharma, Chetan Bhagat, Shankar and of course Deepak Chopra. He is a strong follower of Swami Vivekanand and Maharishi Aurobindo.|
|AS A LAW OFFICER|
|He worked in a large industrial Company as a Company Secretary and Law officer for about 15 years. He had the privilege of working with the best legal counsels of the Country. During that period he had opportunity to work with most of the senior advocates of Supreme Court of India and Calcutta High Court.|
|GUPTA SIR, AS A FACULTY GUIDE AND COUNSELLOR|
Mr. S.M. Gupta, popularly called “Gupta Sir” by his students, also has one more facet of his personality apart from his professional pursuits, which is delivering lectures at different training programs organized by the Institute of Company Secretaries of India from time to time. He has a passion for giving guidance to the youngsters who need it at the time of pursuing their career. He devotes a lot of time in guiding, counselling and otherwise helping the budding Company Secretaries who regularly come to him for seeking guidance on studies and career. He has a vast treasure of affection and blessings for his students for whom he always has time.